Monday, September 21, 2009

Day 1 of 84

Day 1 has come to an end. And so far, so good - I worked out and stuck to the eating plan for one whole day. So here's a recap of the day, complete with pictures, a la The Pioneer Woman (although my photos include far less cream):

Workout: The Firm Wave, day 1 workout - Ride the Wave and Speed Sculpt Express. This went pretty well. I was pleasantly surprised as I didn't have time to preview the videos and thought I might just fall on my butt the first time I tried to step on the curved step. And tonight I'm feeling a slight burn, which I actually enjoy. And in the spirit of first day photos, here is me on the first day of my new adventure:

Yeah...5 a.m. looks good on me! Food: This week The Firm has a detox plan. I'm using this as the main plan, and adjusting to fit the Body-for-Life plan as needed. BFL (Body-for-Life) teaches that you should eat 5 or 6 small meals each day. This way your body always knows that more food is coming and is willing to let go of the food you've already eaten instead of hoarding it in case you don't eat for a while. So... without furthur adieu - Meal 1:

For breakfast, I had 3/4 cup of low-fat cottage cheese, 2 tablespoons of chopped walnuts and 1 cup of frozen, mixed berries:


Mmm...yum! I love the colors that come with healthy cooking.

This is me mentally preparing for breakfast. I learned in the book that if you work out before breakfast you will burn more calories because your body will go on the fuel already there. So before the work out, I measured out the berries to thaw, and then lined it up - 1 cup of berries, 2 T walnuts and 3 (quarter) cups of cottage cheese.


Ta-da! It was surprisingly good! I'm not usually a nut fan, but I dug the crunchiness this gave the whole thing. Perhaps next time I should set the strawberries aside from the other berries though...they didn't thaw very well. Meal 2: Morning snack! For this I had 1/2 a green apple and 2 teaspoons of all-natural peanut butter. I forgot to take a picture of this at the beginning, but here's what it looked like at the end:

Note how every drop of peanut butter is gone from that dish? NO WAY am I leaving a drop of it if it's in the plan! Meal 3: Chef salad and whole-grain melba toast
Meal 4: The plan was for sliced tomato and sliced cucumbers, but work got in the way of slicing a tomato, so it was just the cucumbers, and there was no time for picture taking. But I did fit in my small meal every 2 - 3 hours, so mission accomplished! Meal 5: Well, the plan was for chicken breast marinated in orange juice, lemon juice and rosemary with a side of Brussels sprouts roasted in olive oil and salt, along with a mixed green salad with 2 teaspoons of feta cheese and 2 tablespoons of low-calorie dressing. But this meal wasn't going to be ready until 7 when I was done teaching piano lessons, and I was so hungry after work! So I skipped past that plan and sliced up the tomato I missed earlier in the day; there was no time for pictures. Meal 6: So meal 6 was going to be an apple, but since I messed with Meal 5, I made it meal 6:

Yep - that chicken only tasted as good as it looks. It was okay, but ...meh... not very happy that it's on the plan for a second time later this week. On the upside, I actually like Brussels sprouts! And the salad was good - God love feta cheese...

My biggest accomplishment today? Tyler's cousin, Damon, is in Omaha en route from Phoenix to St. Paul, so the whole family got together for dinner at Mama's Pizza. Because I had to be late coming from piano lessons, I quickly ate a healthy dinner before going to Mama's, and then didn't eat ONE BITE of pizza or fried mushrooms or anything at Mama's! I'm pretty proud of myself for that one.

It's late. . . I'm tired . . . and I just realized the local CW station is running re-runs of the first season of The Hills at night. How is it these posts always come back to trashy teen dramas at the end?!

Goodnight, all!
XO ~
Nicole

2 comments:

  1. I love that you're channeling Ree :) You're a rockstar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mere! I channel Ree whenever possible. And I love that we refer to her by her first name, like we're friends, or have ever even met her!

    ReplyDelete